Sma I digestion of genomic DNA

Barry Moore barrym at stella.genetics.utah.edu
Thu Sep 28 16:41:19 EST 1995

In article <jburger.4.003BC065 at foodtek.csir.co.za> jburger at foodtek.csir.co.za (Johan Burger) writes:

   Dear BioNetters

   Does anyone have any experience with the digestion of plant genomic DNA using
   the blunt cutter Sma I?   I cannot get it to cut genomic plant DNA, even if
   the DNA has been Cesium-purified.  Addition of 2.5 mM spermidine has no
   effect.  I have tried maize, potato, tomato, casava; all which are easily cut
   by enzymes like Hind III, Pst I or Eco RI.  Lambda controls cut fine with the
   same Sma I.  Is the isoschizomer Xma I any better on genomic DNA?

   Thanks very much

   Johan Burger

Johan-

We work with plant mitochondrial DNA.  We have experienced trouble doing mt genome
digests with Sma I.  Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you since it wasn't
that critical for us so we tried for a while and them quit.  Just responding so you
know that your not the only one that has expericenced that trouble.

Barry

*                  Barry Moore                    *
*               Univeristy of Utah                *
*           Department of Human Genetics          *
*            Salt Lake City, UT 84123             *
*                     USA                         *
*                (801) 281-4636                   *
*           barrym at genetics.utah.edu              *
*  http://www.genetics.utah.edu/~barrym/home.html *