Help explain my DNA bands smearing

Michiaki Masuda masuda at fcs280b.ncifcrf.gov
Mon Sep 25 17:16:56 EST 1995

In article <445jck$g5c at merlion.singnet.com.sg> j140474 at singnet.com.sg(jene) writes:
>Hello, recently I did a gel electrophoresis on genomic DNA isolated from
>Arabidopsis. The samples were restricted with MluI, EcoRI and SAU3A.
>I expected to see distinct bands of DNA but ended up with smears in all
>my lanes.

  Jene,

    I believe that the Arabidopsis genome is too large to give any discrete
bands after being digested by a 6-base or 4-base cutter. In other words,
you seem to be getting the result which should be expected. You could run uncut
genomic DNA as a control. If the enzyme that you used are supposed to give
distinct bands corresponding to satellite DNA or other repetitive sequences,
that's another story.

--Michiaki
Michiaki Masuda
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology