Help explain my DNA bands smearing

Michiaki Masuda masuda at
Mon Sep 25 17:16:56 EST 1995

In article <445jck$g5c at> j140474 at writes:
>Hello, recently I did a gel electrophoresis on genomic DNA isolated from
>Arabidopsis. The samples were restricted with MluI, EcoRI and SAU3A.
>I expected to see distinct bands of DNA but ended up with smears in all
>my lanes.

    I believe that the Arabidopsis genome is too large to give any discrete
bands after being digested by a 6-base or 4-base cutter. In other words,
you seem to be getting the result which should be expected. You could run uncut
genomic DNA as a control. If the enzyme that you used are supposed to give
distinct bands corresponding to satellite DNA or other repetitive sequences,
that's another story.

Michiaki Masuda
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology
National Cancer Institute