purification of 100 bp fragments

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Sep 28 12:10:44 EST 1995

James Warren Lafollette (jwlafoll at unity.ncsu.edu) writes:

| I have been trying to find an efficient method to purify small fragments,
| between 50 - 120 bp, from agarose gels and have not been succesful.  Kits
| like Geneclean only give minimal recovery.  Does anyone have a protocol
| that gives a good, 50-70%, recovery of small fragments.  Thanks, Jamie

See the article below for a review of the different techniques and how they
can be used. The method you choose will depend on what the DNA is used for
after you've recovered it. For maximum recovery with little concern for
contaminating agarose, salts, etc., I highly recommend the syringe technique.

@article{Hengen1994Septibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Recovering {DNA} from agarose gels",
volume = "19",
number = "9",
pages = "388-389",
month = "sep",
year = "1994"}

The ASCII version of the manuscript for this and other articles published as a
monthly column in TIBS can be downloaded by anonymous FTP from my archive site.
Look in the pub/methods/TIBS directory at ftp.ncifcrf.gov