primer extension

David L. Haviland, Ph.D. haviland at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU
Tue Apr 2 01:42:01 EST 1996

On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, EFDG wrote:

> Does anybody know of a protocol which labels primer extension products by
> incorpration of alpha-labelled 32P instead of end labelling the primer with
> gamma-labelled 32P dATP?

Stuart:

Been there.  I had the very same thought when I was doing primer
extentsions and all I did was take the protocol in the Harvard manual and
swap the same concentrations of dNTPs with dNTPs-dCTP.  All I obtained
was an enourmous mess of an autorad - i.e., didn't work.  I was looking
at a relatively low abundance message which was why I tried modifiying
the protocol to begin with.  I gave it another couple of attempts all to
no avail.  The only way I managed to get them clean was to spin the end
labeled oligo over a G-25 column where there was sizable separation from
the labeled oligo and free 32P.  In my case, I used the BMB g-25 spin
columns.  OH.. btw- my oligos for primer extenstion were no less that
37-mers.

Hope this helps,
David

+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.          .***.           .***.   .***.        +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med  * | | | *       * | | | * | | | *      +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116      *| | | *   * | | | *   * | | | *    +
+  One Children's Place                * | | | * | | | *       * | | | *  +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110                  '***'   '***'           '***'    +
+  Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"                                     +
+  Voice: 314-454-6076  FAX: 314-454-6076                                 +
+                 Will clone and sequence genes for food.                 +