Hygromycin:Help!!!!

Susan Hubchak hubchak at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Thu Apr 4 14:53:50 EST 1996

In article <3164C80E.6CC5 at vision.postech.ac.kr>, Lab, of,
SignalTransduction, Dep.of, Life, Science, POSTECH, San31, HyoJaDong,
PoHang, South, Korea wrote:

> Hi! everyone
> I am trying to make permanent cell line that stably
> overexpress some gene in Daudi-B cell.
> If anyone know the optimal dose of hygromycin that can
> kill Daudi-B cell, please tell me.
> Thanks in advance.
> Myung Jong

As far as I know, the effective dosage of hygromycin is different
for different cell types.  Try titrating your non transfected controls
with a variety of doses.  When you find your effective dose, add it
incrementally to your transfected cells i.e. 1/4 maximal for a few
days, 1/2 maximal for a few days, then the full killing dose.  That
way, you can avoid losing your transfected colonies for non specific
reasons due to release of destructive enzymes from non trnafected
dying cells.  Good Luck!!

Susan Hubchak
hubchak at merle.acns.nwu.edu