promoter deletions

Dilip Dias MAD2631 at rsgis4.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 4 14:49:13 EST 1996

Jesse

I have used kits from two different companies Promega and NEB Both give
the deletions ladder you expect.  They are easy to use but for both
these kits to work the starting DNA needs to be free of nicks. The best
and the sure way is to cesium chloride purify the DNA to remove the
nicked (therefore linearized plasmids). We had some difficulty in
isolating the exact exodeleted plasmid (the one with the predicted size)
once transformation is done and this is still true.  You may get lot of
colonies but all of them will not have the size deletion you are looking
for. only about 25 - 40% will have if you are lucky.  So when screening
for colonies grow atleast 10 for each time point deletion to get atleast
one you need. Hope this helps.

Good luck

Dilip Dias
Dept. of Forest Science