DNA laddering (apoptosis)

Dr. Simmen's Lab simmenlab at animal.ufl.edu
Mon Apr 8 11:16:38 EST 1996

I am interested in performing some very preliminary experiments to assess
apoptosis.  I am new to this field and have a couple of questions for
someone who has performed such assays.  First, is the DNA laddering the best
initial assay to perform.  I realize there are many specific markers for
apoptosis but do not want to go to the expense of purchasing them until we
have some indication that apoptosis is occurring in our tissue of interest.
If this is a good screening for apoptosis are there any established
protocols or is it simply a matter of isolating genomic DNA and running a
agarose gel?  Secondly, does the tissue have to be fresh (i.e., not frozen)
or can these assays be performed on frozen tissue sections?  Any input will
be appreciated.

Mike