inosine in oligonucleotides

Robert H. Proctor proctorh at ncaur1.ncaur.gov
Wed Apr 10 09:51:25 EST 1996

Hello:

Does anyone out there know how to calculate the concentration of an
oligonucleotide using Absorbtion at 260 nm?   Normally, I use an equation
that takes into account the effect of base composition on extiction
coefficient of the oligo.  So, for a 1:100 dilution of an oligo prep the
equation is:
conc. ( in pmole/uL)
= (100 x Abs at 260nm) / (1.54Na + 0.75Nc + 1.17Ng + 0.92 Nt)

where Na, Nc, Ng, and Nt  = number of adenosines, cytosines, guanosine,
and thymidine, respectively.  I think the 1.54, 0.75, 1.17, and 0.92 are
the extinction coefficients (divided by 10,000)  of the various
nucleotides at 260 nm.

Does anyone know how to incorporate inosine and its extinction
coefficient into such an equation?  Thanks in advance for any help you
can provide.

Bob Proctor
Bob proctorh at ncaur1.ncaur.gov
USDA ARS NCAUR