protein blocking of DNA/RNA hybridisations

S. Macfarlane mbsmf
Thu Apr 11 07:06:52 EST 1996

I use Boehringer Mannheim's Blocking Reagent when doing 32-P-labelled
Southerns/Northerns. The UK catalogue doesn't say what is in this reagent. Does
anybody know? Are there any other blocking buffers which don't require the
addition of denatured carrier DNA such as Herring Sperm? Can I use fat free
milk for this purpose? I seem to remember seeing a description of something
called BLOTTO buffer but I don't have any references.

Thanks for any help.     Stuart MacFarlane, Scottish Crop Research Institute,
Dundee, Scotland