calculation of % identity & % similarity in pairs of seq

Jaishree Muppala Chittoor jaishre at ksu.ksu.edu
Sun Apr 14 19:27:38 EST 1996

Hi Everyone,
Could anyone tell me a suitable program to use to calculate the % similarity
and % identity in a given set of protein or nucleotide sequences.
GRrrr .. How I hate the GCG package!!.  I tried using distances program.  All
I got was a bunch of numbers representting the distances between the seq.  I
could not find a program in the package that would determine the identity &
similarity.  Any pointers/suggestions would help.  Thanks in advance.
jaishree
[jaishre at plantpath.ksu.edu]