Short oligo probes for Northerns ??

Patrick HJ Falckh p.falckh at rmit.edu.au
Tue Apr 16 02:45:23 EST 1996

'lo molbolians,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience in using short oligos
(20-25 base) to probe Northerns.  I've only previously used 250-500
base probes and was wondering if the shorter probes would function
adequately.

I'm considering using end-labelled PCR primers (20-25 bases) to do the
probing , which are degenerates for a class of enzymes; but would it
work.

Your input, and experience, would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--

   Patrick HJ Falckh PhD                                 #     #
   Key Centre for Applied & Nutritional Toxicology      # # # # #