RNA isolation from whole organism rather than tissue or cells

john yon yonjo00 at dons.ac.usfca.edu
Mon Apr 15 15:33:49 EST 1996

Has anyone isolated RNA from a whole organism rather than just tissues
and cells?  We're trying to isolate total RNA from whole earthworms
which are homogenized.  So far we have used the GTC homogenization
buffer, where homogenates were loaded on to a cesium chloride cushion,
ultracentrifuged, and the RNA pellets.  Unfortunately, we have been
unsuccessful.  We have taken all the necessary precautions to avoid
degradation.  Does anyone have any tips?

				Thanks,

					John Y. and Ric T.