Pouring sequencing gels the old fashion way

Ned Mantei mantei at neuro.biol.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 17 00:17:01 EST 1996

In article <4l1d9v$elt at nntp3.u.washington.edu>, rjordan at u.washington.edu
(Rob Jordan) wrote:

 Can
> anyone give me a brand name and/or taping method they use to pour leak-proof
> gels?  Every time I've used a gel that has leaked I end up with lanes sucked
> to one side or the other.

We use ordinary film packing tape, but three layers. Once all the way
around taping the edges of the plates and then folding the tape over onto
the surfaces. Then three pieces, each wrapping around two surfaces and
overlapping the first piece.

--
Ned Mantei
Dept. of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology