Avidin-Biotin Reaction

madbrow madbrow at TWT.COM
Wed Apr 17 15:10:17 EST 1996

> Avidin-Biotin Reaction
>
> JohnnyHugh (johnnyhugh at aol.com)
> 10 Apr 1996 11:27:56 -0400

>      oligonucleotides"
>    * Reply: Keld Sorensen: "Re: Avidin-Biotin Reaction"
>    * Reply: karimova: "Re: Avidin-Biotin Reaction"

> To: methods at net.bio.net
>
> From: johnnyhugh at aol.com (JohnnyHugh)
>
> Subject: Avidin-Biotin Reaction
>
> Date: 10 Apr 1996 11:27:56 -0400
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a question. Does the presence of EDTA inhibit biotin-avidin
> reaction ?
> Thank you.
>
> Johnny

In a paper in Analytical Chemistry (v. 64, No. 22, p2672, 1992) it was
shown that biotinylated DNA could be eluted from a stretavidin-coated
solid support with 10 mM EDTA pH 8.2 (90 degrees, 10 min.) with a 52%
efficiency.  If 95% formamide is included, 97% comes off the support.  I
have used this effect with great success to recover my biotinylated DNA.
So, the answer to you question depends on the precise circumstances.

Mary Ann Brow