Pouring sequencing gels the old fashion way

Michael Koch mkoch at usa.pipeline.com
Wed Apr 17 19:45:34 EST 1996

On Apr 17, 1996 00:21:55 in article <Pouring sequencing gels the old
fashion way>, 'rjordan at u.washington.edu (Rob Jordan)' wrote:

Try to find a bottom spacer, never leaks unless you slap too little
grease on them (especially on the edges).
Some people in our lab pour them without any leak-guard. With a little
initial help from gravity (tilting the plates up just ever so slightly)
they
let capillary force suck the acrylamide between the plates. Seems to
work rather well... even though I doubt that it was easy to learn.

MIKE...

>I know that everybody these days is raving about new, fast ways to pour
>sequencing gels, but let's assume for the time being that I want to do it
the
>old fashioned way and tape up the edges of the gel.  I've tried three
types of

>tape since moving to a new lab and all of them end up leaking (badly).
Can