DNA

Duke Groebe drg at prophet.pharm.pitt.edu
Fri Apr 19 08:29:46 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960418134659.25817B-100000 at icarus.cc.uic.edu>,
Hyder Ali Khan <hkhan3 at uic.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   Could anyone please tell me when was DNA first discovered?
>
> Thank you,
>   Hyder Ali Khan

"Although DNA was first discovered in cell nuclei as long ago as 1869, by
F. Miescher, it was not directly identified as bearing genetic information
untill 1944, when O.T. Avery and his colleagues discovered that some cells
in a rapidly growing culture of a nonvirulent strain of the bacterium
Diplococcus pneumoniae, usually called pneumococcus, are transformed in a
heritable manner into a virulent or disease-producing strain by simple
addition of DNA extracted from virulent pneumococci."

Lehninger, A.L. (1975) in "Biochemistry" 2nd edition, p.859, Worth
Publishers, NY

The opinions expressed here are my own.  MY very own and NOBODY else's!  I
THOUGHT OF THEM FIRST, HA HA, AND YOU DIDN'T!!  SEE!?  There's my name up
there!  And the date - Ooohh, the DATE!  That's important!  HEE HEE, I'M
GONNA BE RICH!  DO YOU HEAR ME!?  RICH!!  HA HA!!  They're mine...heh, heh,
all mine....  GOD!  I'm so smart!