How many bases can be read with ALF-DNA-sequencers, who was , good results wit

Jose M. Bautista jbautist at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 04:12:08 EST 1996

Yesterday I were saying that ALF is somehow worst that perkin sequencers.
I were no very much explicit in my comment and I am really sorry about that.

My experience came from our sequencers at the Universidad Complutense of
Madrid where for the last four years our service has been sequencing a
great deal of samples.

Yes, with Pharmacia you read less number of bp in a run. (400-500 at the
best, but more frequently 300) Perkin sequencers read an average of 700-800.

You need less amount of DNA to have good quality of sequencing with the
Perkin sequencer.

Less number of samples can be run in a gel of the ALF system.

We have been having a lot of trouble with secondary structure in the ALF.
The very same sample in Perkin renders no trouble at all. And this
samples were not specially rich in GC or repetitions. This is a great
handicap for the ALF sequencers.

There are additionally some other minor points which made Perkin
sequencer the choice sequencer when comparing both of them.
If anybody is interested in some more details, please, do not hesitate to
contact me.

And sorry again for the lack of reasons in my last message.

.       Jose M. Bautista                                        .
.       In sabbatical at the Department of Haematology          .
.       Royal Postgraduate Medical School, London               .
.       Permanent address:                                      .
.        Dept. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology IV            .
.       Universidad Complutense de Madrid                       .
.       e-mail boxes:   bauchem at eucmax.sim.ucm.es               .
.                       jbautist at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk                 .
.                       jmbautista at samba.cnb.uam.es             .