Pouring sequencing gels the old fashion way

Absolut Queer janeh at ihug.co.nz
Sat Apr 20 21:49:47 EST 1996

rjordan at u.washington.edu (Rob Jordan) wrote:

>I know that everybody these days is raving about new, fast ways to pour
>sequencing gels, but let's assume for the time being that I want to do it the
>old fashioned way and tape up the edges of the gel.  I've tried three types of
>tape since moving to a new lab and all of them end up leaking (badly).  Can
>anyone give me a brand name and/or taping method they use to pour leak-proof
>gels?  Every time I've used a gel that has leaked I end up with lanes sucked
>to one side or the other.

>Thanks-
>Rob
>rjordan at u.washington.edu

I have found that 4 inch wide Masking tape (no idea of the US brand)
is great.  Smooth it close with the handle of scissors so it binds
well to the glass.  Have an overlap of about 1.5 to 2 inches on the
corners.

Use bulldog clips for added security.  1 on each side, and 1 on the 2
bottom corners.  I also have a thin pice of wood and a clip when I add
the comb-makes certain there are no bubbles.

No leaks in 2 years-its paranoid but it works-just take care with the
taping.

Best of luck

JAne

Absolut Queer
ASGTPR#17
Official(!) ASGTP [mad] Scientist
Liverpool supporter!!!!

"Science is like being God, only I have time and budget constraints"