Staged Embryos

Martin Cann mjcann at med.cornell.edu
Sat Apr 20 19:32:47 EST 1996

I wish to collect staged Drosophila embryos for Northern Blotting.  My
problem is that I do not have the resources for large scale embryo
collection.  Can anyone tell me how many embryos at each stage I must
collect to produce sufficient polyA RNA for Northern Blotting?  What is
the best method for collecting?

Does anyone out there in fly land have some staged RNA which they could
provide me with or a stripped Northern that they can send me (it's a long
shot but it might just work!)?

If I have an antibody would a staged Western be easier to prepare as the
recovery of protein is greater from embryos?  Would this be suitable for
publication purposes i.e a staged Western alongside a Northern of total
embryo, larval, and adult polyA?

I know this is a lot of questions but I would appreciate any feedback.
Please e-mail to the group or to me directly at mjcann at med.cornell.edu

Martin Cann