killer gene in yeast

THARUN SUNDARESAN parker_lab at tikal.biosci.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 22 16:43:35 EST 1996

In article <3173E54E.15FB at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de>, Klaus Salger
<salger at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Ray Lu wrote:
> >
> > Hi, everyone,
> >
> > I'm looking for a gene that, when expressed (not necessarily
> > over-expressed), can inhibit the growth of yeast cells or ideally kill
> > them. Can someone point me some refs please?
>
> I think ricin A should do the job. Have a look at
> Gould et al., Mol Gen Genet 230, 1991.
> Maybe you could find more refs about ricin A in medline.
>
> Cheers
>   Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Salger                phone : +49 (0)89 5902 -502
> Zoologisches Institut       FAX   :                -450
> AG MacWilliams              e-mail: salger at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
> Luisenstr. 14
> 80333 Muenchen
> Germany
>
> BioLinks: http://www.zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de/~salger/salger.html

Gene for a Ribonuclease could be a good choice too.  RNase expression is
known to be toxic to bacteria (work done in 70's) and also plants
(relatively recent work in the area of self-incompatibility - the
barnase-barstar system).  Expressing, for example, the pancreatic
ribonuclease A in yeast, I guess, is most probably going to be highly
toxic to the yeast.
Good luck.
Tharun Sundaresan
Dept of Mol. Cell. Biol., University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ87521.  USA.