5'RACE kit

Mayumi Yagi myagi at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 23 12:25:51 EST 1996

On 22 Apr 1996, Gabriel Romero wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a tried and tested 5'RACE protocol or kit?  How good
> is Clontech's 5'AmpliRACE kit for those who have used it?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>

> Gabby Romero
> goromero at ucdavis.edu

Hi, Gabby,

I have used the 5'RACE kit with good results, for two different genes I
was working on.  However, I have to also tell you that I recommended the
kit to some friends, who used the kit for several different genes with
absolutely no success.  I don't know what the problem was; they eventually
decided that there was a problem with one of the enzymes in the kit.
Also. their genes were expressed a t lower levels in their mRNA sources
than mine, so I don't know whether abundance played a role in my success
vs. their failure.  So, yes it worked for me, but it's apparently not
foolproof (but what is?).

Good luck