CTAB....

Rafael Maldonado rafael at corona.med.utah.edu
Tue Apr 23 18:38:31 EST 1996

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Anonymous wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can't seem to find the answer to this in any of the books I have lying
> around, so please forgive me if this is an inane question.
>
> What exactly does CTAB do? I'm using it when doing DNA extractions from
> environmental samples(papaer originally by Boom, et al.) I remember
> being told from a semi-reliable source it was a protein denaturant, but
> SIgma lists it as useful in DNA precipitation.  Thanks In advance,

CTAB can be used for BOTH purposes, DNA precipitation and DNA cleaning to
remove proteins and polysaccharides. You have to adjust the proper salt
concentration to get one or another effect.

Check Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, volume I (the big red binder).

Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             | 'No te creas todo
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |  lo que leas en
Department of Human Genetics		     |  internet.'
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  "Don't believe
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |  everything you read
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  in internet."
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |