DNA on a leash?

Tina Hallis hall0236 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Wed Apr 24 10:02:14 EST 1996

Hi everyone!

I am a graduate student at the University of Minnesota.  (Yes.  The ice is
FINALLY gone from the lakes!)  I am interested in enzymes, like the
hormone receptor proteins, that are activated by a ligand (such as a
hormone) which then bind DNA and initiate transcription.  Has anyone heard
of using an oligomer of duplex DNA tethered to a ligand (ie. a hormone)
such that upon ligand binding, the appropriate attached sequence of DNA
can bind to the protein's DNA domain and inhibit the corresponding
transcription?  I have found other uses of DNA and RNA tethers, but not
any that incorporate a protein ligand.

Any references or comments would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Tina Hallis
U of M
Dept. of Chemistry