de-lipidization

Ferland Louis H. ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Thu Apr 25 00:05:59 EST 1996

On 22 Apr 1996, Helen Korsmo wrote:

> Date: 22 Apr 1996 17:33:22 GMT
> From: Helen Korsmo <Helkor at facstaff.wisc.edu>
> To: methods at net.bio.net
> Subject: de-lipidization
>
> I have a nuclear extract, I want to remove any lipids it might contain.  Is there a method
> using chloroform:methanol (which proportions) and then using the aqueous phase, that
> would work?  What would you dialyze against before using the treated extract for
> SDS-PAGE?
> thankyou

Helen,

I've never done it in your context, but de-lipidation of serum used in
cell culture medium is routinely achieved with activated charcoal by
coutless labs. (The target usually is steroid hormones.) No need to
dialyze afterwards, only centrifuge and collect supernatant.

Might do what you want?

Dr. Louis H. Ferland
Centre de Recherche, Hotel-Dieu de Montreal
Dept de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal
Phone: (514) 843-2757     FAX: (514) 843-2719