shooting yourself in the foot....

Bill Alexander alexanderw at cber.cber.fda.gov
Thu Apr 25 08:27:53 EST 1996

In Article <199604250716.IAA00576 at rfhsun2.rfhsm.ac.uk>, k9mhc at .rfhsm.ac.uk
(Mr Vid Mohan-Ram) wrote:
>hi...since this is a 'public domain'...if you describe details
>of your experimental work does that make your research void if
>you want to patent a part of it for example?...just wondering
>
>cheers
>
>vid

Short answer "it could".

Long answer: I don't think the Patent Office "Reads" (searches) this (or
any) newsgroup looking for prior art.  They probably should since many posts
do include enough details to constitute "an enableing disclosure to one of
skill in the art".  Now that all old Usenet postings are being compiled and
made available on-line (check DejaNews or Alta Vista) they could begin to
search through newsgroups.  Don't worry yet because they hardly have enough
time to search the Literature now.
Regards,

Bill Alexander
alexanderw at cber.cber.fda.gov

     "640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981