FROZEN acrylamide sol'n!

Phillip J Robinson mdpjr at cc.newcastle.edu.au
Wed Apr 24 18:48:14 EST 1996

For what its worth, what's the problem here?  Freezing acrylamide
reagents is no problem.  We make our acrylamide gel solutions (never with
urea, just plain Laemmli) in bulk (0.5 to 2 litre), sans TEMED or APS, and
have been freezing it in little gel-sized aliquots for over 8 years!  Some
of our samples have been in the back of the freezer for literally 3 years,
and still have defrosted in minutes to pour an excellent gel.  This way we
can pour a gel in very quick time indeed, since all our solution making is
completed only once or twice a year.  Simply defrost a 29 ml aliquot
(enough for a large biorad 1 mm thick gel) in a water bath and a 10 ml
aliquot of stacking solution, add TEMED/APS and pour.  Alternatively when
we pour one gel, we take the next aliquot out of the freezer to 4deg for
the next gel (next day or next week) so its already defrosted.  We have
even refrozen defrosted solutions a few times, to no apparent detriment.
We feel we have extremely high quality gels - with a minimum of fuss.
Another advantage of this approach is that we have never wasted a drop of
acrylamide solution because its too old - lots of money saved.

Phil