XL1-Red in vivo mutagenesis

neuro meisel at neuro.charite.hu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 25 15:06:20 EST 1996

We are trying random mutagenesis of a 9kb plasmid using the XL1-Red in vivo
mutagenesis system (Stratagene). Even if we follow the instructions of the
manual, we can't find any mutations in the gene of interest. The gene, a
restriction/modification system, is not essential for bacterial survival,
except for a mutation effecting the modification function . The mutation
frequency of the XL-1 Red  strain should be 1 per 2000 bp per 30
generations, as ruled out by the suppliers. We sequenced more than 10kb
without any mutation after 40-50 generations. The technical service of
Stratagene has no explanation for this. Is there anybody having the same
experience or some better. Or is there anybody having an idea for efficient
random in vivo mutagenesis of a plasmid.

Andreas Meisel
Exp. Neurology
Humboldt University Berlin
meisel at neuro.charite.hu-berlin.de