Sending bacteria via mail

Koen De Smet kds30 at
Thu Apr 25 11:05:08 EST 1996

Georg Kroeger wrote:
> Dear Netters,
> someone told me about a simple method do prepare clones for sending by
> mail: spot some suspension culture on a sterile pice of whatman, dry
> (air dry or lyophylisate?) seal in a plastic bag - that's it. Put it
> in an envelope and off they go! To get the clones back, just throw the
> paper in liquid selective medium!
> Sounds very simple and easy to do!  Does anyone know about this
> method?

I once heard that in Mexico, they do something similar: they dry
clinical samples of patients suspected of having tuberculosis on
whatman and send it to a diagnostic laboratory for PCR analysis fronm
this. The question was: who dares to lick these envelopes to close
Sorry, but I can't help you with your specific question.

Koen De Smet

        Dr Koen A.L. De Smet
        Research Fellow
        Department of Medical Microbiology
        Imperial College Medical School at St Mary's
        Norfolk Place
        London W2 1PG
        Great Britain
        Tel: (+44)-(0)171-594 3946
        Fax: (+44)-(0)171-262-6299
        Email: k.desmet at
__        Visit our departmental World Wide Web page:        __

"If we knew what it was we were doing,
 it would not be called research, would it?".   --   A.Einstein