Sending bacteria via mail

Koen De Smet kds30 at sm.ic.ac.uk
Thu Apr 25 11:05:08 EST 1996

Georg Kroeger wrote:

> Dear Netters,
> someone told me about a simple method do prepare clones for sending by
> mail: spot some suspension culture on a sterile pice of whatman, dry
> (air dry or lyophylisate?) seal in a plastic bag - that's it. Put it
> in an envelope and off they go! To get the clones back, just throw the
> paper in liquid selective medium!
> Sounds very simple and easy to do!  Does anyone know about this
> method?

I once heard that in Mexico, they do something similar: they dry
clinical samples of patients suspected of having tuberculosis on
whatman and send it to a diagnostic laboratory for PCR analysis fronm
this. The question was: who dares to lick these envelopes to close
them?
Sorry, but I can't help you with your specific question.

Koen
--
Koen De Smet

        Dr Koen A.L. De Smet
        Research Fellow
        Department of Medical Microbiology
        Imperial College Medical School at St Mary's
        Norfolk Place
        London W2 1PG
        Great Britain

        Tel: (+44)-(0)171-594 3946
        Fax: (+44)-(0)171-262-6299
        Email: k.desmet at sm.ic.ac.uk
__        Visit our departmental World Wide Web page:        __
__         http://www.sm.ic.ac.uk/medmicro/home.htm          __