Single error in Primer

Patrick HJ Falckh p.falckh at rmit.edu.au
Fri Apr 26 00:05:11 EST 1996

'lo Netters,

I was wondering if someone could advise me if it is feasible to have a
single error in a PCR primer but still have it bind to a specific
region?
The situation is that I have a 21mer primer that is specific for a
given product (a class of enzyme).  I have found that this primer is
~95% homologous to a subclass of the enzyme with the difference being
an 'A' substitution for a 'T'; 7 bases upstream from the 3' end.  I
was think that this would not cause too much of a distortion .... am I
correct in this assumption or should I remake the primer? Either side
of the substitution is a 'TGC' and a 'GGT'.

Your advise is appreciated.

--

   Patrick HJ Falckh PhD                                 #     #
   Key Centre for Applied & Nutritional Toxicology      # # # # #