Subtractive Hybridization Pitfalls?

Pete Muriana MURIANAP at FOODSCI.PURDUE.EDU
Fri Apr 26 08:43:02 EST 1996

In article <4lp3gu$5ik at mozo.cc.purdue.edu
> cwen at aux.btny.purdue.edu (Chi-Kuang Wen) writes:
>Dear Peter:
>        When working on the prokaryotic genomic DNA subtraction, the
>complexity of the DNA is a lot smaller compared with the eukaryotic genomic
>DNA or cDNA.  In your work, the genomic DNA is only 3Mbp, considering if  the

..........pontification on differences between working with eukaryotic DNA vs.
          prokaryotic DNA deleted :-)

>  A lot more >difficulties will be encountered when working with
organisms with complex DNA >composition.
>        Regards,
>Chi-Kuang

Dear Chi-Kuang,  the original poster did not indicate the need for information
on eukaryotic or prokaryotic DNA.  I recognized that fact and qualified my
statements indicating the procedures I have used worked well with total
"prokaryotic" DNA since these microorganisms don't have the luxuries of
eukaryotic organisms of being able to "pull out" poly-A tailled mRNA.
Actually, the original poster requested "any" comments regarding "subtractive
hybridization" to which I responded.  If you feel the need to "lecture"
someone, please give one in your facility.
Regards,
Peter Muriana

>.

>.

>Chi-Kuang Wen
>Botany & Plant Pathology
>Purdue University
>West Lafayette, IN 47907
>USA

>fax(work): (317)494-5896
>phone(work):(317)494-0661

   Peter M. Muriana
   Assistant Professor                         317-494-8284   TEL
   Dept. of Food Science                     317-494-7953   FAX
   Purdue University                    murianap at foodsci.purdue.edu
   Smith Hall                                 http://www.foodsci.purdue.edu/
   W. Lafayette, IN  47907-1160         personnel/muriana.html