help with semiQ RT-PCR

Patrick HJ Falckh p.falckh at rmit.edu.au
Sun Apr 28 23:45:35 EST 1996

Proteins are not always possible to isolate at sufficient purity or
completely active thereby giving a false representation of the protein
produced.  If no controls are present to ensure optimal PCR conditions
or variations between PCR runs, then people shouldn't use the words
quantitate/quantitative at all!  mRNA levels are only sufficient to
measure chronic changes, in some cases, as the level is transitory and
upon the removal of the stimulus the mRNA levels return to normal;
such is the case with induction.

A change is only a change if other criteria stay constant; ie a
standard.  As mentioned in other replies at earlier postings, the
difficulty arises on choosing THE RIGHT standard, and in most cases
more than one standard should be considered.

There is nothing wrong in denoting that a tissue expresses a gene,
provided you have accounted for the possibility of DNA contamination,
and are aware if the gene being expressed has any introns or not; eg
muscarinic receptors have no introns, so a DNase step is imperative
before being able to denote expression or a change in expression.

Just my $0.02 worth.  I know that it's still "publish or perish" but
I'm starting to get annoyed with papers that have been published that
haven't taken into account any controls and when trying to replicate
the experiment nothing works!  On trying to use a method in a recent
'Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA' I had to resort
to contacting the author directly, after several unsuccessful attempts
to get the experiment to work, before finding out that the papers
results were on a N=1.

There is enough bad press against scientist without us giving credence
to those statements with sloppy work.

Regards
--

   Patrick HJ Falckh PhD                                 #     #
   Key Centre for Applied & Nutritional Toxicology      # # # # #