Sending bacteria via mail

Ferenc Marincs agpfxm at
Tue Apr 30 00:33:49 EST 1996

In article <4lno5e$boq at>,
a03m at wrote:

> Dear Netters,
> someone told me about a simple method do prepare clones for sending by
> mail: spot some suspension culture on a sterile pice of whatman, dry
> (air dry or lyophylisate?) seal in a plastic bag - that's it. Put it
> in an envelope and off they go! To get the clones back, just throw the
> paper in liquid selective medium!
> Sounds very simple and easy to do!  Does anyone know about this
> method?

It works very well. Before you sterilize the paper wrap it in aluminia
foil. You even should not dry the suspension just rewrap it in the foil
and cover the whole thing with parafilm.

Ferenc Marincs
AgResearch, Private Bag 11008, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Phone: +64-6-356 8019, Fax: +64-6-351 8032
E-mail: agpfxm at