DNA precipitation by Polymine P

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 07:17:37 EST 1996

In article <4m2k3l$b9d at ys.ifremer.fr>, "Jean Paul Raffin, Ifremer Brest
PDG-DRO-EP" <jpraffin at ifremer.fr> writes
>Is there somebody having some experience with DNA precipitation with
>Polymin P (Polyethyleneimine) ?
>I would be especially interested if they had some problems with the
>solubility of proteins after this treatment.
>
>Thank you

I use it widely when purify RE's and some polymerases. I use from 0.5-1%
final but always have 0.1-0.2M NaCl present. DNA will ppt. but the salt
prevents my enzymes coming down too. You can omit the salt and back
extract the pellet with salt but not all enzyme are recoverable.

Polymin P must be removed (for my use) 'cos it messesx up further
purification. Ammonium sulphate pptation of ones enzyme will do the job.

Duncan