TE damage to DNA

corboy at utdallas.edu corboy at utdallas.edu
Tue Apr 30 14:22:02 EST 1996

Julie Drawbridge (jdraw at pucc.princeton.edu) wrote:
> Well, I know that if Tris is heated (especially to boiling) the
> buffering capacity is shot and the pH will shift dramatically... I
> believe this would cause autocatalysis, if not outright depurination
> or denaturation... just a guess

	What about autoclaving Tris solutions? Obviously the pH of a Tris
solution is very sensitive to temperature, but I don't see how heating
the Tris would permanently damage it, considering that an autoclave heats
the solution well above the boiling point.  Unfortunately I didn't see
the original post, so I don't know what the original problem was.  The
most common problem with DNA damage in a TE solution is contamination
with a nuclease.  DNA autocatalysis is not a problem, unlike RNA alkaline
hydrolysis, because DNA doesn't have the 2' attacking OH.

Michael J. Corboy
University of Texas at Dallas