Removal of Ethidium Bromide

Ed Seijo (BIO) seijo at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Thu Aug 1 15:14:30 EST 1996

I just finished a CsCl prep to isolate genomic DNA and extracted EtBr with
n-Butanol. I thought I had removed all the EtBr but upon ppt the DNA I
noticed that the pellet had a red tinge. I resuspended the pellet in TE
and re-extraced w/n-Butanol and after subsequent ppt w/95% ethanol I still
had EtBr present. I've read that performing a phenol extration followed by
a phenol:chloroform extraction will remove the dye. Is there a more
efficient and less harsh method to make my DNA EtBr free?

** Edward Seijo			**	Opinion is a flitting thing     **
** University of South Florida  **	But Truth, outlasts the Sun --  **
** Department of Biology	**	If then we cannot own them both	**
** Tampa, Florida 33620 	**	Possess the oldest one.         **
** (813) 974-5655		**    		Emily Dickinson         **