How many Kb in a centiMorgan????Help

Daniel Mytelka mytelka at mendel.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Aug 2 21:48:56 EST 1996

In article <4tq85a$dsj at sifon.cc.mcgill.ca>,  <dasuser at PO-Box.McGill.CA> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I have forgotten the conversion for cM distances in the average
>mammalian genome. Does anyone remember the number of kb in a cM?
>
>Thanks in advance....
>
>this is really bugging me (hehe)
>
>Graham Dellaire
>McGill University
>dellaire at odyssee.net

Last I heard, the estimate for mammals was around 1 Mb=1cM.

Most organisms turn out to have a similar number of total
recombination events, so I think that ~2000 cM is standard, and
you can get an approximation of the size of a cM by dividing the
genome size by that. I don't know whether this holds for the
organisms with very high "C" values like plants and amphibians,
but they generally are hard to work with genetically anyway.

DSM