Anyone tried Sypro Gel Stains???

Toumy Guettouche tguettou at newssun
Fri Aug 2 13:59:01 EST 1996

On 1 Aug 1996, Mike Holbrook wrote:

> I am looking into using the Sypro gel staining reagents from Molecular
> Probes in SDS/PAGE gels.  I will be using a Molecular Dynamics STORM
> Phosphorimager as a detection system.  Molecular Dynamics also sells a
> protein gel staining reagent, Allpro I think it is called.
> I was curious if anyone had tried either of these systems, especially in
> conjunction with the STORM machine.  I would be interested to hear
> positive or negative reports on either system and an explanation of some
> of the problems you might have had.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

I tried both Sypro Orange and Sypro Red and in my case it did not work
very well. I had quiet high background (esp with Sypro Orange) even
though I reduced the SDS in the gel according to their instructions.
However, I did not bother to play around a lot since I found a modified
Coomassie Stain that works well. For documentation I used a UV
transilluminator, their filter and a polaroid camera system.
In some of their older manuals they also include a protocol in which
they claim you can stain and afterwards still transfer. In my hands you
loose a lot of sensitivity , get high background and the transfer does not
work as well. However, I think they do not distribute this protocols
anymore.

Good Luck

Toumy