Oligonucleotide purification

Daniel Jacobs d.jacobs at unsw.edu.au
Mon Aug 5 01:26:45 EST 1996

In article <32024750.32DB at jcu.edu.au>, Lynn Hughes
<lynn.hughes at jcu.edu.au> wrote:

> Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with the following problem.  I have
> 2 10mer oligonucleotides which I want to anneal, they will give me a
> HindIII sticky end, 6 base pair double stranded region then an EcoRI
> sticky end.  This should be easier enough to do.  However I then need to
> purify this configuration away from my starting  2 single stranded
> oligos, and I am not sure how to do this.  Being such a small fragment of
> DNA I don't think I will be able to use methods such as kits available
> for purifying DNA from agarose gels.  If anyone has any methods I could
> try I'd be very grateful to hear from them

Lynn, I think you are going to have a major problem with this work for if
you manage to purify the annealed oligos the Tm of such a structure is
going to be so low that it will fall apart almost at once. If you tell us
what you are trying to do we maybe able to able to come up with a solution
that will work.