smear Northern

Klaus Salger salger at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Aug 7 00:34:39 EST 1996

kankaku wrote:
<snip>
> various membranes, various hybridization solutions.  But, nothing improved
> the smear, but specific band.  Of course, my RNA sample looks very intact
> because signals for other transcripts as well as rRNA are beautiful. I
<snip>

Hi,

maybe your probe(s) contain some abundant sequences. I had this problem
once. Using a full length cDNA as probe gave lots of smear which was
impossible to get rid of. I solved the problem by probing with a
fragment which contains just coding sequence without repeats. This
resulted in clear bands - no smear.

So if your probe contains regions of low complexity or (conserved?)
non-coding regions I would recommend using a sub-fragment.

Hope this helps
  Klaus

--
Klaus Salger		phone : +49 (0)89 5902 	-502
Zoologisches Institut	FAX   :			-450
AG Wetterauer		e-mail: salger at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Luisenstr. 14
80333 Muenchen