smear Northern

kankaku kankaku at NIBB.AC.JP
Tue Aug 6 19:43:05 EST 1996

I believe I am not poor at Northern.  However, this time, I have trouble with
obtaining signals for my rare transcript.  I tried various things, using
DNA probes,
riboprobes, partial digestion, total RNA, polyA RNA, formaldhyde, glyoxal,
various membranes, various hybridization solutions.  But, nothing improved
the smear, but specific band.  Of course, my RNA sample looks very intact
because signals for other transcripts as well as rRNA are beautiful. I quess
the turn-over of the rare mRNA is very rapid.  I need to know the size of the
mRNA.  So, other methods such as RPA are not useful for my purpose.
I would appreciate it if someone would suggest how to obtain a good
Northern signal for such a transcript.