Uncouplers & pH

L. Fliegel lfliegel at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Thu Aug 8 13:52:39 EST 1996

In article <4u8q97$soi at agate.berkeley.edu>, lhom at nature.berkeley.edu (Louis
Hom) wrote:

> Let's say you treat cells with an uncoupler of oxidative phosphorylation,
> like dinitrophenol (I think that's one), so that you cause the cell to burn
> up all kinds of fuel struggling to make some ATP.  Would you expect this to
> decrease the surrounding pH since more CO2 would be made?  Would you expect
> this in vivo too (for organisms as small as insects up to humans)?
> --
> Lou Hom >K '93		       	    	     "Putney is confusing obscenity
> lhom at nature.berkeley.edu  		      with originality."
> http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom	       	  -- Myron X in "Putney Swope"

I think it is reasonably well known that people that have defective
mitochondria, as in several diseases, often have acidosis which accompanies
the disease.  This may be in muscle and other tissues.  Try a search of the
word
acidosis and mitochondria on medline and you will probably come up with
a lot.
L. Fliegel