Lambda ZAP as a vector for bacterial libraries

billing at vetsci.microvet.arizona.edu billing at vetsci.microvet.arizona.edu
Thu Aug 8 17:57:27 EST 1996

Before posting this I had a quick look in the archives and although the
question has been asked before, there weren't a lot of specific replies.

My question therefore is, would people recommend the use of Lambda ZAP
(Stratagene) (or the derivatives Lambda ZAP II, Lambda ZAP Express, etc)
for cloning bacterial (not cDNA) libraries.  I would like to make
several "immortalized" libraries for future use.  The boss wants to try
cosmids :-( while I would prefer straight lambda.  I thought Lambda ZAP
might be a compromise (although an expensive one, I know).

Which, if any of the derivatives, is better?  We would screen for clones
using various combinations of antibody, DNA probes, direct measurement
of expressed products on plates, etc..

Also, I noticed that there were a few comments in the archives on
difficulties with "ZAPPING" the bluescript out of the lambda.  Is this a
general problem, or related to the type of insert in the clone?

Finally, does anyone know of any other similar systems.

TIA

Stephen