How to construct lab WWW page

Jim Woodgett jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
Sun Aug 11 14:14:59 EST 1996

In article <960809144913.22204c39 at chemvx.tamu.edu>, KHUANG at CHEMVX.TAMU.EDU
writes:

> Hi, Netters
> I am trying to construct a www page for our lab, would you like tell
> me some guide reference or your tip?
> Thanks

We've set up a mini-directory of lab web pages (which is at a very early stage
- any additions welcome) at http://kinase.oci.utoronto.ca/labdirect.html

While this directory of sites doesn't have many direct pointers to things such
as "How to set up a web page" a number of the entries point to people willing
to offer free advice.  The things to consider are:

1.  Server type (unix, Mac or PC)

2.  Type of internet connection (really has to be a direct line via ethernet
and T1)

3.  Software available to you (depends on 1)

4.  Whether you will host the site or simply FTP the html documents to a
server administrator

5.  How much you are willing to learn. Learning basic html mark-up is easy but
the area is fast-moving.

Hope this starts you in the right direction. For specific information on html,
do an Alta Vista <http://www.altavista.digital.com/> search on keywords like
"html programming" and "http servers".  You won't know where to stop!

Jim Woodgett

Associate Professor: University of Toronto
Senior Scientist: Ontario Cancer Institute mailto:jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
610 University Avenue       http://kinase.oci.utoronto.ca/woodgettlab.html
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9   phone (416) 946-2962  fax: (416) 946-2963