Discrepancy between OD-value on spec and DNA on agarose gel

H. ROYCHOWDHURY hroychow at NMSU.EDU
Mon Aug 12 15:41:05 EST 1996

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Botma Visser wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a problem in determining the concentration of plasmid
> DNA on a spectrophotometer.  I extracted plasmied DNA using
> the Qiagen midiprep columns.  When I determined the
> concentration of the plasmid DNA at 260 nm, I got a very
> high reading, with the concentration going up to 1.1 mg/mL
> from a 100 mL prep.  I then ran 500 ng plasmid DNA
> (calculated using the determined concentration) on an
> agarose gel, and saw nothing.  The prep contained no RNA.
> Have you encountered similar problems, and if yes, what can
> I do about it?  It is critical for me to have accurate
> concentrations.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Botma Visser
>
> pbv at rs.uovs.ac.za

Hi,
	You can not determine NA concentrations by looking at the 260nm
reading only, since the nucleotides have absorption maxima at 260nm. A
solution containing very small oligo-ntds will also absorb strongly at
260nm, leading one to believe that it has high DNA/RNA conc.

			  Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.
			  Las Cruces, NM 88003