DIG-labelled RNA probes

GILLIAN NI BHARLO BOTANY PG NIBHARLO at acadamh.ucd.ie
Wed Aug 14 12:23:07 EST 1996

Hi there!
I have recently started doing northerns using DIG-labelled RNA
probes, and have noticed some strange binding patterns with some of
them. The probe appears to encircle the band of interest rather than
actually binding to it. This particularly seems to be a problem with
heavily loaded gels - is overloading masking the RNA hybrid from the
antibody? I hope to use these probes in in-situs and am afraid a
similar effect there would distort an attempt at localising signals.
I will be exceedingly grateful if anyone can cast some light on this
one.....!
THanks in advance
Gillian