PCR Not Allowed

David L. Haviland, Ph.D. haviland at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Aug 14 22:28:08 EST 1996

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996 WSchick at aol.com wrote:

> What should we call it?
>
> PCR is a trademark for the patented PCR process using TAQ.
>
> So what do you call amplification by Pfu  or Vent or Brk or?
>
> These enzymes do not violate the PCR Taq patent, so we legally can't call the
> reactions PCR.  Or big brother PE will be unhappy and send us a letter to
> cease and desist as using PCR in a paper would reduce their trademark to
> common usage, and they can't allow that, can they?
>
> So--a challenge.
>
> What do we call a non-Taq amplification in our papers?   DAC?  PAR?  CED?
>
> Of course, we can always throw a PCR reference in our introduction, so the
> search engines will pick up PCR as a keywor?

Walt:

VERY interesting.  How about calling it "TCA" for ThermoCycling
Amplification?  One could then state the enzyme of choice (Vent,KlenTaq,
insert_your_favorite...).

A methods section might read something like, "The 400 bp probe for the
immunoglobulin heavy chain was prepared using TCA and Vent using standard
protocols (use_your_favorite_reference)."  There's no question what is
going on and you're steering clear of exact working that would step on
PE's toes.

Yours,
David

+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.          .***.           .***.   .***.        +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med  * | | | *       * | | | * | | | *      +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116      *| | | *   * | | | *   * | | | *    +
+  One Children's Place                * | | | * | | | *       * | | | *  +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110                  '***'   '***'           '***'    +
+  Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"                                     +
+  Voice: 314-454-6076  FAX: 314-454-2476                                 +