Re- PCR not allowed

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Thu Aug 15 15:49:53 EST 1996

In article <n1372023783.10367 at msmtp.idde.saci.org>,
brett_beitzel at MSMTP.FS.SACI.ORG says...

>I got a copy of the patent...
>Basically, it covers any amplification of nucleic acids
>using a nucleic acid primer in which the product of one reaction is used as
>template in a subsequent reaction.

But surely there's evidence of prior art!  Don't all cells do this during
DNA replication?
	As far as alternative names are concerned, the reaction is not
a true "chain reaction" and I think that some groups were pushing for
"EAD" (Enzymic Amplification of DNA).  I guess this is too late now
and PCR (?Patent a Common Resource) is what it will stay.
		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.