HELP!!! Lambda prep...

Atsushi Isoai aisoai at
Wed Aug 14 21:56:58 EST 1996

In article <4udga1$qrj at>, Allison <3abm4 at>

>I'm doing the  "Standard method for purification of bacteriophage
>lambda" (Sambrook et al. pp 2.73-2.76) and at the end of step 11, the
>CsCl step gradient, I'm getting a blue band _above_ a white band, the
>opposite of what the protocol says should result.  Also, the bands seem
>too far up in the tube.  Does anybody know what is happening?  Perhaps
>more importantly, does anybody recommend a better (more recent?)
>protocol?  This one seems long and ripe for catastrophic errors on my

The standard method for isolation of phage DNA is laborious and
time-consuming. I had used Lambda Kit (QIAGEN Inc,) and confirmed it
works very well. Using this kit, you can omitt the step of CsCl-gradient
ultra-centrifugation and obtain good quality and quantity ofphage DNA.
I hope my suggestion is useful for you!

Atsushi Isoai, Ph.D.
Internet       / aisoai at (office) / aisoai at (home)
NIFTY          / GBH02410