Discrepancy between OD-value on spec and DNA on agarose gel

Quentin E. Low qlow at orion.it.luc.edu
Fri Aug 16 17:35:01 EST 1996

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Botma Visser wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a problem in determining the concentration of plasmid
> DNA on a spectrophotometer.  I extracted plasmied DNA using
> the Qiagen midiprep columns.  When I determined the
> concentration of the plasmid DNA at 260 nm, I got a very
> high reading, with the concentration going up to 1.1 mg/mL
> from a 100 mL prep.  I then ran 500 ng plasmid DNA
> (calculated using the determined concentration) on an
> agarose gel, and saw nothing.  The prep contained no RNA.
> Have you encountered similar problems, and if yes, what can
> I do about it?  It is critical for me to have accurate
> concentrations.

I have the same problem with the OD method. What I have previously done
was to include reading with OD 280 with my readings so I can ascertain
the purity of the DNA. Although knowing the concentration of the DNA is
important to me, I also need to know if there is any DNA
(false readings can be obtained with spectroscopy) So what I do is
to run a small sample out on a gel along with three amounts of lambda ladder:
0.5 ug, 1.0ug and 1.5ug. Not only do I know that there is DNA, but I can
guesstimate the concentration. When the DNA is pure, the two methods give
very similar results.

Hope that this helps

Quentin Low