AmpliTaq Gold vs AmpliTaq: where is the magic ?

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Mon Aug 19 11:26:54 EST 1996

In article <4v4sou$sv7 at erika.cica.es>, bb1dopeg at lucano.uco.es says...

>Hi there,
>
>Anybody knows what is the key difference between AmpliTaq Gold vs
>AmpliTaq at the molecular/reagent composition level? Apparently they
>are both the same MW enzyme. I wonder if Gold is not something similar
>to the Clontech Taq plus thermolabile antibody...

No.  I talked to one of their reps about this and she stated she was
not allowed to say exactly what it was but it was definitely not an
inhibitory antibody.  I asked if it was "something like a heat labile
blocking group, maybe for a cysteinyly thiol" and she said that it was
along those lines.  This would fit in with the lack of effect on its
electrophoretic mobility.
	Does anyone know if the activity of Taq polymerase can be
modulated within the bacterium? - maybe phosphorylation.
	Anyway, the reps feel that we don't have to know the nature
of the control in the Gold enzyme as they claim that whatever the
block is it will have no effect at all on downstream usage.  So, if
anyone can show a stituation where AmpliTaq works but AmpliTaq Gold
does not I'd be interested to hear about it (and so would the
manufacturers, I'm sure).
		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.